Skin Clearing 14-30 Day Cleanse Essentials
- Increase your water intake. Without sufficient water, toxins can become absorbed back into the bloodstream. On average, drinking one litre of water per 100 pounds of body weight daily is ideal. Not all liquids need to be just water, herbal tea or fresh vegetable juice count. Avoid all sugar-based or caffeinated beverages (fruit juice, sports drinks, sodas, coffee, black tea, added sweeteners, alcohol, etc.). I highly recommend nutrient-rich fresh vegetable juice, especially organic celery or cucumber, as they are very cleansing vegetables.
- Avoid all acne-triggering foods. You may already avoid some of these foods if you suffer from acne. Still, these toxin-building foods need to be completely avoided to detoxify the system: all dairy (milk, cheese, yoghurt), gluten (wheat, barley and rye), sugar (white, processed, pure cane, maple syrup, all artificial sweeteners), coffee, factory-farmed meat, iodised salt, vinegar and any processed vegetable oil or trans fats that are found in most packaged and processed foods. If you can avoid these foods for a few weeks (or indefinitely), you will notice a difference in your skin and energy levels.
*It is essential to avoid all non-organic meat and poultry that contain hormones, sugar and antibiotics, which can increase skin sensitivity and toxin load on the body. Avoiding meat and poultry and following a vegan diet is ideal for the Cleanse.
- Include skin-cleansing organic foods in your diet. Here is a list of the top foods to cleanse and nourish your skin: leafy greens, apples, lemon, yam and sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, peppers, pumpkin seeds, avocado, organic wild blueberries, cucumber, wild salmon and sea vegetables, brazil nuts, flax, quinoa, wild rice, sunflower seeds, millet, legumes. You get the idea…whole foods with tons of fibre-rich veggies and whole grains.
- Reduce your toxin exposure in personal care products. If you use chemical-based skin and hair products with synthetic preservatives, fragrances and colours, your body cannot rely on its largest detoxification organ (the skin) to eliminate toxins. ResetWell Botanicals’ skincare line is formulated around this clean skincare philosophy. ResetWell has a full tincture line such as Reset Liver Tonic, Immunity Tonic, Reset Calming Tonic and Reset Adaptogenic Mood Boost Tonic allows your body to help heal from the inside out. ResetWell also has a variety of teas to help sooth and detox you in your health and wellness journey.
- Choose healthy fats and cut out bad fats, processed grains and sugar! Healthy fats (consumed in moderation) support good health and clear skin. Still, the wrong fats can be a disaster for your skin and microbiome, particularly when combined with a diet that includes packaged, processed foods, high in sugar, trans-fats and preservatives. Increase healthy fats with the proper ratio of Omega 3 to 6 (we always want way more omega 3) with pure vegan algae Omega 3 supplements, ground flax seeds, organic avocado, flax and olive oils and organic nuts).
- Increase your sleep. During a cleanse, a minimum of 8 hours is ideal to allow the body and the skin to rejuvenate. Sleep is the foundation of good health.
- Get out and move your body. Cardio-based exercise is essential for skin health as it is one of the primary outlets for toxin elimination, and it boosts blood flow and oxygen to the skin’s surface, keeping it healthy.
- De-stress with simple deep breathing, yoga and/or bodywork. If stressed, your hormones go crazy, which is bad for skin health and body weight. We recommend a popular breathing technique that you can do anywhere, anytime. Simply take five slow, deep breaths – in for the count of five, out for the count of seven before every meal. To bring your body into a calm state and deepen your detoxification, you can start each day of your cleanse with a longer meditation, a restorative yoga class and/or relaxation or lymphatic drainage massage.
- Unplug, be present and mindful. The constant stimulation of our cell phones, texts, social media, television, etc., is a major distraction for many of us. Not only are we not present in our surroundings and with loved ones, but we distract ourselves from the messages our bodies give us to help us regain our natural health and balance. Turn off your electronic devices (for as long as you can within the restrictions of our modern-day responsibilities), pay attention to what is going into your body while you are eating, practice gratitude and get out into nature. This is harder than it sounds, but the payoff is amazing.
- You are what you eat, but also when, how and with what you eat! Healthy digestion is one of the biggest health concerns regarding the skin (and all kinds of health issues). The recommended foods listed above are nutrient-rich and will nourish the body, but only if the digestive system works properly to absorb the nutrients and eliminate waste.
Here are a few tools to ensure your gut has the best chance for healthy digestion…
- Eat your main meal in the afternoon and try not to eat anything heavy past 7 PM (the body is the most active in the afternoon, and so is our digestive system; nighttime is for rest and sleep, not digestion).
- Never drink ice cold drinks with food (the digestive system needs heat to work, and icy cold drinks shut the entire system down). Ideally, you stay hydrated throughout the day and don’t need to drink with meals and dilute your digestive acids.
- Sit down and enjoy your meal. We all have busy lives and often eating on the run while working, watching a movie, etc. Sit down, be mindful of what you are eating, chew your food well, slow down and rest for a few minutes after each meal.