- Increase your water intake.Without sufficient water, toxins can become absorbed back into the bloodstream. On average drinking one litre of water per 100 pounds of a bodyweight per day is ideal. Not all liquids need to be just water, herbal tea or fresh vegetable juice count. Just avoid all sugar-based or caffeinated beverages (fruit juice, sports drinks, sodas, coffee, black tea, added sweeteners, alcohol etc). I highly recommend nutrient-rich fresh vegetable juice, especially organic celery or cucumber as they are very cleansing vegetables.
- Avoid all acne triggering foods. If you suffer from acne you may already be avoiding some of these foods but these toxin building foods need to be completely avoided to detoxify the system:all dairy(milk, cheese, yoghurt), gluten (wheat, barley and rye), sugar (white, processed, pure cane, maple syrup, all artificial sweeteners), coffee, factory-farmed meat, iodized salt, vinegar and of course any processed vegetable oil or trans fats that are found in most packaged and processed foods. If you can avoid these foods for a few weeks (or indefinitely), you will really start to notice a difference in your skin and energy levels.
*It is important to avoid all non-organic meat and poultry that contains hormones, sugar and antibiotics which can increase skin sensitivity and toxin load on the body. Avoiding meat and poultry all together and following a vegan diet is ideal for the Cleanse.
- Include skin-cleansing organic foods in your diet. Here is a list of the top foods to cleanse and nourish your skin: leafy greens, apples, lemon, yam and sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, peppers, pumpkin seeds, avocado, organic wild blueberries, cucumber, wild salmon and sea vegetables, brazil nuts, flax, quinoa, wild rice, sunflower seeds, millet, legumes. You get the idea...whole foods with tons of fibre-rich veggies and whole grains. These foods and many more make up the beautiful healing diets and recipes created in Reset Acne Lab’s customized acne healing diet consultations and plans.
- Reduce your toxin exposure in personal care products. If you use chemical-based skin and hair products with synthetic preservatives, fragrance and colours your body cannot rely on its largest detoxification organ (the skin) to eliminate toxins. Our ResetWell skincare line along with the other cherry-picked healing products available from Reset Acne Lab are formulated around this clean-skincare philosophy.
- Choose healthy fats and cut out bad fats, processed grains and sugar!Healthy fats (consumed in moderation) support good health and clear skin, but the wrong fats can be a disaster for your skin and microbiome, particularly when combined with a diet that includes packaged, processed foods, high in sugar, trans-fats and preservatives. Increase healthy fats with the proper ratio of Omega 3 to 6 (we always want way more omega 3) with pure vegan algae Omega 3 supplements, ground flax seeds, organic avocado, flax and olive oils and organic nuts).
- Increase your sleep.During a cleanse a minimum of 8 hours is ideal to allow the body and the skin to rejuvenate. Sleep is the foundation of good health.
- Get out and move your body.Cardio-based exercise is essential for skin health as it is one of the primary outlets for toxin elimination and it boosts blood flow and oxygen to the surface of the skin keeping it healthy.
- De-stress with some simple deep breathing, yoga and/or bodywork. If you are stressed, your hormones go crazy and that is not good for skin health or body weight. Dr. Katie Branter, ND recommends a popular breathing technique that you can do anywhere, anytime. Simply take five slow deep breaths – in for the count of five, out for the count of five before every meal. Of course, if you can start each day of your cleanse with a longer meditation, a restorative yoga class and/or relaxation or lymphatic drainage massage you will really bring your body into a calm state allowing for further detoxification.
- Unplug, be present and mindful.The constant stimulation of our cell phones, texts, social media, television etc. is a major distraction for many of us. Not only are we not present in our surroundings and with loved ones, but we literally distract ourselves from the messages our bodies are giving us to help us get back into our natural state of health and balance. Turn off your electronic devices (for as long as you can within the restrictions of our modern-day responsibilities) pay attention to what is going into your body while you are eating, practice gratitude and get out into nature. This is harder than it sounds, but the payoff is amazing.
- You are what you eat, but also when, how and with what you eat!Healthy digestion is one of the biggest health concerns when it comes to the skin (and all kinds of health issues). The recommended foods listed above are nutrient-rich and will nourish the body, but only if the digestive system is working properly to be able to absorb the nutrients and eliminate waste.
Here are a few tools to make sure your gut has the best chance for healthy digestion…
-Eat your main meal in the afternoon and try not to eat anything heavy past 7 PM (the body is the most active in the afternoon and so is our digestive system, night time is for rest and sleep, not digestion).
-Never drink ice cold drinks with food (the digestive system needs heat to work and icy cold drinks shut the entire system down).
-Sit down and enjoy your meal. We all have busy lives and often eat on the run while working, watching a movie etc. Sit down, be mindful of what you are eating, chew your food well, slow down and rest for a few minutes after each meal.